Please enable JavaScript to best view this website.
Skip to Main Content
Skip to Content Menu

Archive Website

We've moved to a New Website Design. This archive of our old website will be available temporarily while we complete our migration.


Agricultural Department

Appointed by the Board of Supervisors to a four-year term, the County Agricultural Commissioner is responsible for the local administration of certain federal, state, and local laws and regulations which protect the public’s health, safety and welfare, the environment, agriculture, and the consumer. The Agricultural Commissioner is also the County Sealer of Weights and Measures.

Mission Statement


Our mission is to serve the public's interest by ensuring equity in the marketplace, promoting and protecting agriculture, assuring environmental quality, and protecting the health, safety and welfare of Sutter County's citizens.

We fulfill our mission through the following programs: Pest Exclusion, Pesticide Use Enforcement, Pest Detection, Fruit and Vegetable Standardization, Egg Quality Control, Pest Management, Nursery Inspection, Pest Eradication, Seed Inspection, Weights and Measures Enforcement, Predatory Animal Control, and other non-regulatory and special services programs.

Industrial Hemp


What is Industrial Hemp?
"Industrial hemp" means a crop that is limited to types of the plant Cannabis sativa L. having no more than three-tenths (0.3%) of 1 percent tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) contained in the dried flowering tops, whether growing or not; the seeds of the plant; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin produced therefrom.

What is the difference between cannabis and Industrial Hemp?
Cannabis is defined in California Business and Professions Code (BPC) Section 26001(f). The BPC Section 26001(f) definition explicitly states that cannabis does not include industrial hemp.

Is Industrial hemp federally regulated as a controlled substance?
The Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, effective January 1, 2019, removed hemp from Schedule I of the federal Controlled Substances Act. Thus, hemp is no longer federally regulated as a controlled substance.

Additional information about Industrial Hemp and registration:

Agricultural Damage Information


The U.S. Department of Agriculture has issued a notification as a result of the wildfires that occurred August 14, 2020 - September 26, 2020 in applicable counties (USDA M4558).

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has issued a new drought disaster declaration for the State of California as of March 5, 2021.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has granted a Secretarial disaster designation for drought in Sutter County as identified by the U.S. Drought Monitor (USDA S4916).

The U.S. Small Business Administration declared Sutter County a disaster area due to drought as identified by the U.S. Drought Monitor (SBA #16896).

Sutter County Walnut Theft Prevention Ordinance


Walnut Hullers

On August 5, 2014, the Sutter County Board of Supervisors passed and adopted the Sutter County Walnut Theft Prevention Ordinance. The purpose of this ordinance is to establish requirements regarding the transportation and identification of walnut crops, including establishing a walnut buying period. It is the purpose and intent of this ordinance to establish a means of verifying ownership of specified agricultural commodities in order to prevent and deter theft of walnuts.

Sutter County Department of Agriculture Weather Station Data


Get the latest weather data from the Weather Station at Garden Highway. Data is refreshed throughout the day, every day.

Office Hours


Contact Information

Agricultural Commissioner:
Lisa Herbert
142 Garden Highway
Yuba City, CA  95991
Phone Number:
(530) 822-7500

If this is an emergency and pesticides endanger people's health, call 911.

Please contact (530) 822-7307 if a Pesticide incident occurs after business hours or on weekends.

Si ocurre un incidente de pesticida despues del horario de oficina o fines de semana, favor de comunicarse al (530) 822-7307.